Monday, September 9, 2013

Asleep, Perchance To Dream...

Asleep, Perchance to Dream...




In the bright shining sun he lay, asleep.
Dreaming of carrots, and delicious flowers...



...At least that's what I think he's dreaming about. But what do I know ~ I'm not a horse! It was a very sunny day as I walked along the "beach" of Lake Chapala in Ajijic (pronounced ah hee HEEK), Jalisco, Mexico. There he was, this cute little colt, following me around. He was curious and not a bit afraid - after all his mother was just over there, staked out to graze. So I guess he felt secure in that fact and continued to appease his curiosity by walking along side me, but not getting too close.

Earlier, I had walked a short piece from my house down to the lake, camera in hand, ready to capture whatever Mother Nature had to offer that day. There were plenty of birds out, even though the lake was a bit rough and the wind was strong. White caps abounded, the mountains across the lake were a beautiful site to behold, and here was this cute baby horsey wandering around while mama grazed on what little grass there was...It was so peaceful!

I wanted to just sit and soak in the beauty and peace surrounding me, but I had come to take pictures and pictures I would take! When you hold a camera in your hands there are many things to consider, including time of day and lighting, and my day would be ending soon, taking the light with it. So, I had to focus on my beautiful surroundings and find the photo ops I'd come in search of. I was not to be disappointed.

As the colt followed me around, I began shooting the birds, the mountains, the waves - I even captured the little fella himself scratching his neck with his hind hoof like a dog. Unbelievable! Who knew!



Well, I guess he grew tired of me and the warm sun was just too inviting for him. He decided a rest was in order. So, he lay near his mother and, as I watched, I thought of a little child. His little eyes would close and his little head would nod off. But just like that little child fighting his sleep, he'd jerk himself awake, eyes opening. We've all watched babies do this. I just never expected to see a horse do it. Finally, it was just too much for him and he slept.

He was so cute! I was able to capture him as he lay there sleeping and I knew just what I wanted to do with this photograph. I wanted to show that dreamy state that we was in. I wanted you to be able to feel him resting, sleeping, dreaming...   what do ya think?

I was very happy with the photos I'd taken that day. I felt like I'd got some pretty awesome shots, including these. I really miss my beloved Mexico. My husband and I lived there for five short years...not long enough for my tastes, but family comes first and we moved back to the US to relocate in the beautiful state of Arkansas, closer to our children and grandchildren. My photo opportunities are not what they were in Mexico, that's for sure. But, one day...I'll go back ~ camera in hand, ready to capture whatever Mother Nature has to offer me that day...









No comments:

Post a Comment