Sunday, September 22, 2013

Dark Waterfall - My Happy Place

Dark Waterfall


If I asked you to picture a happy place in your mind - somewhere you could go to be happy...to feel safe. What would you picture?

For some reason, I've always pictured a small cave just behind a huge waterfall, where I could sit and just listen to the roar of the water and no one could find me or know I was there.


     ~   ~  ~   ~   ~   ~   ~


One day, my daughter and I decided to hike down to Cedar Falls on Petit Jean Mountain (Petit Jean State Park, AR). It was a really nice day and I had brought my camera with me so I could shoot the falls.

It was a bright day for photography so I was a little worried about the lighting. But I was going to see what I could get. We even brought sandwiches for a small picnic lunch once we arrived at the bottom of the falls. I LOVE waterfalls and just couldn't wait! The hike down was magical! There was a beautiful trail through the trees...green everywhere you looked, a little mist here and there, sounds of rushing water, an occasional wildflower to stop and shoot...beautiful nature sounds...beautiful nature views!

The trail.

Once we arrived, I began snapping away with my big camera (Canon Rebel). I was still learning, and still am, how to adjust the settings. I don't know what happened but all of my pictures came out with regular lighting except for that one. This one photo had that dark, mysterious look about it. 


I LOVED IT! This was exactly what I'd pictured in my mind but from a different point of view. It didn't matter - I knew what was behind the falls! There was my happy place!

Now, when I want to go to that place in my mind, it's just that much easier since I have an actual picture of it! :)




*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Here are a few of the other photos we took that day...I didn't quite have my adjustments right and the white water came out way too bright...


Cedar Falls in the bright light.

 Oh, by the way - there is no cave behind the waterfall. That's only in MY happy place! :)


A few obstacles to overcome on the trail... 


Almost over!

Smaller falls all along the way.


Resting at the Falls. 







No comments:

Post a Comment